Re: RARA-AVIS: Digest Number 592 (RE: Just a quick hello)

From: Patrick Bagley ( bagleyps@gwi.net)
Date: 25 Mar 2006

I'll have to look for Fay. Someone asked about other "redneck noir" books. I guess what I'm shooting for with my novel is a cross between Elmore Leonard and Erskine Caldwell. Country life is generally peaceful, but there is a strong undercurrent of violence. It often builds slowly and then explodes.

Here are some books that center on (or briefly involve) crimes in rural areas. They aren't necessarily noir --and you might be surprised that I consider some of them crime novels-- but I have found them inspiring to my own writing.

Child of God by Cormac McCarthy No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy Cruisers by Craig Nova Paris Trout by Pete Dexter The Lost Get-Back Boogie by James Lee Burke The Convict and Other Stories by James Lee Burke (especially the title story) Controlled Burn by Scott Wolven (short stories) Potshot by Gerry Boyle A Boat Off the Coast by Stephen Dobyns Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (yep, it's a hick crime novel!) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I'd love to get suggestions from other list members.

Thanks, Patrick
------------------------------------------ Patrick Shawn Bagley http://hillbilliesandhitmen.blogspot.com/

----- Original Message ----- From: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 12:40 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Digest Number 592

Message: 12