Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: redneck noir - Woodrell

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 24 Mar 2006

>I brought up Daniel Woodrell, but now I've got a question about him.
>How many books has he written? And how many were Remy Shades?

Apologies if this has been answered already.

There are three Remy Shades. I have them all, but have only read the first one so far.

His other books are Woe To Live On (republished as Ride With the Devil to tie in with the movie adaption), Give Us A Kiss, Tomato Red and The Death of Sweet Mister. My favorite of that bunch is Give Us a Kiss, but I enjoyed them all. It's worth noting that Woodrell himself says he writes 'country noir.'

Also: he gave Tom Franklin's Hell at the Breech, which could also be called country noir, a great review in the Post Book World in 2003.