Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: noirs

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Mar 2006

David Wright wrote:

mm, I don't think it is that Meursault is naughty - it is that he, unlike Raskolnikov or Pinkie Brown or even Sheriff Lou Ford doesn't seem capable of registering that there is such a thing as 'naughty' - he's sort of the ultimate transgressor because he doesn't seem to recognize that he's transgressing, or that there are meaningful lines that one would transgress. Beyond good and evil, where anything is permitted. Sartre's nauseating freedom.

************* I'm going to have to disagree with that. Or at least split hairs with the reference to beyond good and evil. That does not describe either Meusault's or Ford's situation. For that matter, it doesn't ring out to Sartre's nauseating freedom, either.

miker