Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: noirs

From: David Wright ( dwright333@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Mar 2006

mm, I don't think it is that Meursault is naughty
- it is that he, unlike Raskolnikov or Pinkie Brown or even Sheriff Lou Ford doesn't seem capable of registering that there is such a thing as 'naughty' - he's sort of the ultimate transgressor because he doesn't seem to recognize that he's transgressing, or that there are meaningful lines that one would transgress. Beyond good and evil, where anything is permitted. Sartre's nauseating freedom.

  He winds up in prison, and seems just fine with that, which is - it its way - more horrifying and creepy than your typical damned noir sinner. (Or not).

--- Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> wrote:

> David Wright wrote:
>
> And the ultimate anti-christian noir? Most
> noir
> anti-heroes defy morality. Meursault is simply
> beyond
> good & evil altogether.
>
> ****************
> Camus was inspired by James Cain, wasn't he?
> And I'm
> not sure that a naughty hero makes the noir
> anti-Christian. What happens to them in the
> end?
>
> And if you look at the big heroes of the Old
> Testament, they almost all had some serious
> skeletons
> in the closet.
>
> miker

> protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com

David Wright - Seattle Public Library Fiction Dept.

"Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity."
                 -G.K. Chesterton