Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Psycho Noir

From: David Wright ( dwright333@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Mar 2006

A friend of mine interviewed Patrick McGrath and said that - indeed - his dad always had interesting anecdotes for the kiddies at the dinner table. The best of these was something about a woman who'd cut off her husband's head - when the kids asked 'Why did she do it?' his reply was something like 'Raving Mad!' or some such. (-:

The latest forensic anthropologist to use his experience in fiction must be Roderick Anscombe, who paints a very chilling sociopath in 'The Interview Room.' And I know Shane Stevens did mountains of research for his unsurpassed 'By Reason of Insanity.' But Shakespeare's Iago perfected the sociopathic personality long before there was such a thing. McGrath's special insight seems to be psychiatrists more than patients, and I thought the narrator of 'Asylum' was far creepier than his homicidal patient.

David Wright

--- DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net wrote:

Doesn't
> Patrick McGrath, author of
> Spider and others, claim he got his knowledge
> of psychosis from sneaking
> into the medical files of his father, who ran a
> sanitarium?

David Wright - Seattle Public Library Fiction Dept.

"Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity."
                 -G.K. Chesterton