Re: RARA-AVIS: My Gun is Quick

From: Brandt Dodson ( bldodson@adelphia.net)
Date: 17 Mar 2006

I'm a big fan of Spillane and I also liked "I, The Jury" better than "My Gun is Quick", but for different reasons.

I'm big on setting. I felt the atmosphere, mood and setting were better in "Jury."

My own series (Colton Parker Mystery series) was inspired largely on the "Noir" films I used to watch as a kid and the books I read. Chandler, Hammett, MacDonald and others all had strong influence on me (and I'm willing to bet, on all of us).

My first novel, "Original Sin" was written in the style it was because that was the style I read. Parker did an excellent job - I think - in reintroducing the PI to readers in a way that maintained the momentum established by Chandler, et al. But Spillane's approach to women might not be as well received.

At any rate, I am awaiting reviews of my own, so maybe I shouldn't be as critical of a master like Mickey.

Brandt Dodson www.brandtdodson.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Robison" < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 6:59 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: My Gun is Quick