RARA-AVIS: Archer St. John tribute pages: MANHUNT, hb early graphic novels, Capone...

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Mar 2006

--- In fictionmags@yahoogroups.com, Paul Di Filippo noted and passed along:

> Some great publishing history here, mostly of comics. Beautiful
and
> nostalgic illos......

http://www.comicartville.com/archerstjohn.htm

...and among the illos is the initial page, from NUGGET, of an unsubtle lampoon of skin-magazine publishing by Ray Russell, before his PLAYBOY run, presumably.

Also, the first citation of R. E. Decker's name sounded familiar, and I eventually remembered his association with AHMM, after leaving MANHUNT and Flying Eagle.

The bits about Flying Eagle's prosecution in New Hampshire and the infamous Wertham "the children told me what he would do with the poker" panel are worth the look...as is the account of the arguable first graphic novel...

TM