Re: RARA-AVIS: Williams and Woolrich

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 08 Mar 2006

miker wrote"

"Speaking of movies, I've been working my way through the noir selections at Netflix. I don't know a damn thing about noir movies so I pretty much take what they recommend. I've got one coming soon called Union City, I believe, based on a short story by Cornell Woolrich called Rear Window."

Are you talking about the early '80s film with Debbie Harry? Someone put that out on DVD? I saw it at the time, but don't remember much about it. Don't remember being particularly impressed, though.

As for film noir, you can't go wrong with the "Fox Film Noir" series. I think there are now 12 of them, including Nightmare Alley and Laura. Warner Brothers has put out two "Film Noir Classic Collection" box sets with 5 movies each (also available individually). I don't have the second yet, but the first holds adaptations of Murder My Sweet (from Farewell My Lovely, Chandler's favorite version of Marlowe, mine, too), Out of the Past and Asphalt Jungle, along with Gun Crazy and The Set-Up.

Mark