Re: RARA-AVIS: RIP Dennis Weaver

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 01 Mar 2006

At 03:36 PM 28/02/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>I just heard that Dennis Weaver passed away from
>complications from cancer, only days after Darren
>McGavin and Don Knotts.

I think it an oversight that we've ignored the dark side of Barney Fife in this latest thread of noir character roles played by recently deceased actors.

It's true that in his nineteen motion pictures, his own television variety series and several specials, Knotts was known best for his comedy roles, but Barney was forever scheming for permission to put bullets into his gun, to what nefarious purposes we may only speculate. How eagerly Fife wanted to lock up everyone in Mayberry, and have his way with them. What greater example exists in the history of American television entertainment of the bald exercise of corrupt power? In hindsight, it was really only Griffith's comic reaction, as the long suffering and overly patient Sheriff Taylor, who brought out what humour there was in the existence of the loser Fife.

I'd also like to ask who could forget the darkly sinister, sexually obsessive Ralph Furley, as assayed by Knotts on Three's Company, but apparently everyone has.

Best, Kerry