Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Darren McGavin

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 28 Feb 2006

Richard wrote (about an episode in which McGavin played Mike Hammer):

"Anyway, "Now Die For It" is copyrighted 1959 (no idea of first air date). Of interest to this list is that the teleplay was by Steven Thornley (who did several episodes) from a story by Curt Cannon. . . .
"The plot involves a teen club called the Dew Drop Club. Hammer is hired by a friend to investigate the disappearance (& eventually murder) of his wife's sister, who frequented the club. . . . I assume this is from one of the Curt Cannon stories from Manhunt but it has been years since I read them. I may give them a scan to try and discover the one that served as a basis for this episode."

The Curt Cannon story has the same title. I read it in one of the anthologies of Manhunt stories. Turns out McBain recycled the story himself, as I noted in July 2001:

I just finished reading McBain's second 87th Precinct, The Mugger. I liked it a lot. I found it particularly interesting that the book recycles a plot McBain used in one of his Curt Cannon stories, Now Die In It. SPOILER ALERT The subplot involving Bert Kling's investigation of his one-time friend's sister-in-law is exactly the same as Curt Cannon's investigation in that story. Both friends are married cabdivers with beautiful sisters-in-law who look just like the wife once did. Both contact a detective to placate the wife's worries. Both sisters are pregnant, though this is known from the outset in the story, but hidden for a while in the novel. Both sisters hang out in a teen club. Both are murdered. Both detectives get involved with an older, loose woman who hangs out in the club and befriended the sister. Both investigations involve figuring out what subway stop the sister exited to meet her lover. In both, the detective is called in by a homicide captain to tells him to stop mucking about, who found out he was by an anonymous call (however, drunk detective Cannon is physically beaten, but Kling is just browbeaten, his job threatened). Whereas the plot makes up the complete short story, it becomes a subplot in the novel. The murder is at first thought to be an escalation in a string of female muggings, but is eventually revealed as a copycat killing.

Mark