RARA-AVIS: RE: Darren McGavin RIP

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2006

Marc Seals mentioned McGavin's "The Old Man" in A Christmas Story. He played another "Old Man" in a considerably more hardboiled project: he was the Continental Op's boss in the television adaptation of Hammett's Fly Paper on the Fallen Angels series on Showtime. The script was written by Don Westlake. Everything worked except ... they cast Christopher Lloyd as the Op. Huh?

From: "Marc Seals" < mseals@tampabay.rr.com>

And, though it's certainly not hard boiled or noir, many of us will always remember him as "The Old Man" in the 1983 film A Christmas Story. His fishnet-stocking-clad lamp ("It's a Major Award!") makes me laugh every time that I see it.