RARA-AVIS: Re: Darren McGavin RIP

From: Racerick75@aol.com
Date: 27 Feb 2006

I had the very great pleasure of meeting McGavin back in the 1970's, during the days when I was working in film production in the Carolinas. He played Richard Petty's father Lee in the movie '43' (not to be confused with '24') which was later horribly retitled SMASHUP ALLEY for television. This movie actually starred Richard Petty as Richard Petty, proving once and for all that racing drivers should not act. McGavin, despite his crusty film persona, was a real gentleman, and took a lot of time to talk with we aspiring filmmakers about the business. He will be missed. R
  Richard Helms Two-Time Shamus Award Nominee CORDITE WINE (0-9710159-6-1), the second Eamon Gold PI novel, from Back Alley Books! website: http://hometown.aol.com/murdvoocarre
"Cordite Wine is tough, funny, exciting, and very good!" -Robert B. Parker