RARA-AVIS: Catching up on some Hard Case Crime books

From: Paul Farrell ( pmf_nz@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: 25 Feb 2006

The Hard Case Crime books aren't easily available in stores here in New Zealand, aside from Lawrence Block's GRIFTER'S GAME and the Stephen King book, both of which are stocked at Borders, where they're obviously only going for the most famous authors in the series.

Just recently, though, two of the other books have shown up at an indie bookstore, so I picked them up:

Peter Pavia - DUTCH UNCLE. A decent Florida-set story with obvious influence from Elmore Leonard. A guy who's been out of prison for only a few days gets a job as a drug courier, and comes across a dead body his first night on the job. He has to go on the run to avoid the cops and fellow criminals. I could see a series coming out of this one, focused on the cop characters.

Max Phillips - FADE TO BLONDE. If the publication date didn't say 2004, I'd swear this was from the late 50s/early 60s. The rescue operation at the whorehouse is a particular highlight, and even though I guessed the general direction the ending was heading for, there was still a surprise left. On the strength of this book, I've got Phillips' previous novel, THE ARTIST'S WIFE, from the library.

Paul