Re: RARA-AVIS: The vanishing PI

From: Stephen Blackmoore ( stephen@shadowshow.net)
Date: 22 Feb 2006

Howdy folks.

Since I'm new here, I figure I might as well dive in and make an ass of myself right off the bat.

Realism is relative. I think, more important than realism, is consistency. Take Eric Garcia's "Anonymous Rex", for instance. Definitely a PI story, but with dinosaurs masquerading as humans in the modern world. It works because it's consistent and because it doesn't blink. The premise is held firm the whole way through. Realistic? Hardly, though I think a lot of the things that needed to be realistic
(how cars work, telephones, etc.) were, which gave the reader a frame of reference. But it was consistent. It set up its rules and it stuck with them throughout.

-Stephen Blackmoore

===