RARA-AVIS: Re: The Annual P.I. Obit

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 21 Feb 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burton Smith <kvnsmith@...> wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
> > Well, Fast Lane's not a PI book - it's fits really under psychotic
> > noir. The only PI work I ever wrote (until recently) was a short
story
> > done more as a joke.
>
> GULP! Would that be the story you wrote for us? And here we took you
> seriously...

Well, Kevin, the effort was a serious one, but the concept of Johnny Lane in a traditional PI story -- albeit an excessively seedy and amoral one -- was kind of a joke, more to make readers who might later pick up Fast Lane all the more shocked. If you read Fast Lane you'll understand the punchline.

I do agree with your overall assessment of the PI genre. More and more of these books are being labeled as "thrillers" but they're still at their heart PI novels, regardless of the PI's actual profession.

Dave Zeltserman