RARA-AVIS: Re: The popularity of the Private Investigator

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 18 Feb 2006

Mike,

I guess there's also Falling Angel as an example. One of these days I'll write a sequel with Johnny Lane snuck out of prison and forced by the government to do ultra-dangerous hits, with things blowing up for everyone.

I guess the point I was trying to make with these so-called other distributions is that none of these books are really ever heard of and ever sell more than 200-300 copies. Major reviewers only handle the big-name books, most of these small publishers do 0 promotion. Bookstores don't carry them (I got a little lucky with Fast Lane and a couple of mystery bookstores were recommended it and read it and liked it, so they pushed it as book club selections). But the question is does a book really exist if that few people bother to read it?

Anyway, with Serpent's Tail buying Small Crimes (which is a far better book than Fast Lane), I'll at least get some readers outside of Italy reading my books.

Best, Dave

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
> "I'm not sure that's really true. For books to sell in any volume
they
> need (vast majority of time) to go through traditional outlets.
Books
> that rely on mostly Internet sales are not going to sell much if
any."

> Well, I didn't say the new avenues offered riches, just that they
were
> out there.
>
> "Well, Fast Lane's not a PI book - it's fits really under psychotic
> noir."
>
> Can't be both? Like Marc Behm's Eye of the Beholder? I define PI
book
> as any book with a PI and as psychotic as he may be, your "hero"
is a
> PI.
>
> "About other traditional PI writers - of course, Ken Bruen's
marvelous
> Jack Taylor series."
>
> Oh yeah, forgot about those. Don't know why, I love that series.
And