Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The popularity of the Private Investigator

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 18 Feb 2006

Dave wrote:

"I'm not sure that's really true. For books to sell in any volume they need (vast majority of time) to go through traditional outlets. Books that rely on mostly Internet sales are not going to sell much if any."

Well, I didn't say the new avenues offered riches, just that they were out there.

"Well, Fast Lane's not a PI book - it's fits really under psychotic noir."

Can't be both? Like Marc Behm's Eye of the Beholder? I define PI book as any book with a PI and as psychotic as he may be, your "hero" is a PI.

"About other traditional PI writers - of course, Ken Bruen's marvelous Jack Taylor series."

Oh yeah, forgot about those. Don't know why, I love that series. And Dan Simmon's Kurtz books. Andrew Klavan's Weiss and Bishop books, the first of which was kind of fun, even if a bit cliched in places; got the second on the pile. Mark Coggins's Immortal Game. John Shannon's books. Guess there are still some PI writers out there.

"And off the top of my head there's Michael Kortya's Lincoln Perry, Harry Hunsicker's Lee Hnery Oswald, Michael A. Black's Ron Shade series, Jim Winter's Keplar, Harry Shannon's Mick Callahan (although not strictly a PI), and I'm sure there are dozens of others..."

Thanks, I'll have to check those out.

Mark