Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The popularity of the Private Investigator

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 18 Feb 2006

Dave wrote:

"I'm not sure I buy that the PI has fallen out of favor. Block, Crais, Connelly, Deaver, Coben, Mosley all sell a ton of books, but I think we're increasingly seeing the larger publishing houses falling into this superstar mentality - if a book doesn't look like its going to sell a gazillion copies all at once, the houses seem less likely take on a book or promote it. So the only PI books that get any promotion and mass distribution each year are the couple of dozen from the superstar authors."

But now there are a number of alternative distribution options. And I'm not aware of their putting out a whole hell of a lot of PI books either. There's yours, Fast Lane, Fade to Blonde and Little Lost Girl from Hard Case. Others? Are there other new PI writers? I'd really like to know about any I'm missing.

Mark