RARA-AVIS: The Popularity of the Private Investigator

From: Steve Miller ( swmiller@wideopenwest.com)
Date: 18 Feb 2006

Unfortunately, I think the last five years or so have demonstrated that aside from the brand names, there isn't much interest in PI. Too many really good writers have either stopped publishing (Thomas Lipinsky, Richard Barre, D. Daniel Judson, the aforementioned Lyons, though that goes back fifteen years or so, as does Jonathan Valin), or have stopped working in PI for whatever reason (Jeremiah Healy, G.M. Ford, Lehane). The last real break-outs in PI have been Steve Hamilton and Laura Lippman, and they go back close to ten years. There are some good young turks out there, like Michael Koryta, Jim Winter and some others, but the last few years haven't been very encouraging.

Steve Miller