RARA-AVIS: Re: The popularity of the Private Investigator

From: Channing ( filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 18 Feb 2006

I think the days of the trench-coated gumshoe myth has finally come to an end. He had a great run of 50+ years but I think modern audiences are looking for something new and different. The Real Modern P.I. is more of a computer geek who does most of his leg work in front of a computer keyboard. His main source of income is divorce cases and insurance fraud, not very sexy or exciting.

The idea of hiring a private dick to find the missing heiress is quaint and the modern audience craves something juicier.

That's why I think more violent occupations have become the modern fad for books and TV shows. The myth of the P.I. was replaced by the myth of the sexy superspy in the 60's, which in turn has been replaced by the myth of the Serial Killer Profiler.

Cops and lawyers are real. We see them on the news and on talk shows all the time. But when was the last time anybody saw a real Private Investigator on the news?