RARA-AVIS: James E. Martin and Robert Martin

From: Gary ( piesbook@execpc.com)
Date: 18 Feb 2006

> Does anyone know anything about James E Martin? His character
> is Gil Disbro, laid off Cleveland cop turned PI.
>
> Are there other books besides
> The 95 File
> The Mercy Trap
> The Flip Side of Life (*)
> And Then You Die
> A Fine and Private Place (*)
> (*) have read these two.
>
> Jim Felton

I believe that the last four are the only Gil Disbro novels. The 95 File is a police procedure written long before the Disbro series appeared, but I suppose it is possible that Disbro is the cop in that novel. I do not have a copy of it to verify who is the hero.

This reminds me of an older Cleveland series about PI Jim Bennett written by Robert Martin (not directly related as best I can tell). I enjoyed this series very much and did an analysis of it for Steve Lewis at Mystery*File. If Cleveland is the appeal, try this series.

Best, GWN Gary Warren Niebuhr P. O. Box 341218 Milwaukee, WI 53234 piesbook@execpc.com http://my.execpc.com/~piesbook/piescatalog.html Author of MAKE MINE A MYSTERY and A READERS GUIDE TO THE PRIVATE EYE NOVEL