Re: RARA-AVIS: Watcha readin'?

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Feb 2006

THE EIGHTH CIRCLE by Stanley Ellin: Well-written, but further evidence to me that "realism" is a literary method. Here Ellin's "realism" is mainly a lot of pop-psych of the day. And while it may well be true that PI work, when successful, takes a spiritual toll on it's practioners, that just seems nowadays like a literary device after Wambaugh, etc.

An Arthur Lyons novel I can't remember: Not one of his better efforts, but I generally like Lyons's, who I think is another underrated writer of that period.

I'm also reading a lot of Joseph Hone, who is in no way hardboiled (he's a British spy novelist) but is pretty fine.

doug

Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com