RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled genealogy

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Feb 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "George Tuttle" <noirfiction@...> wrote:

> I see the key problem discussing "film noir" in course on the
> hardboiled genre is that film noir as conceived by Nino Frank is not a
> genre, but a cinematic style that cuts across many genres. That said,
> crime films in the 1940s didn't shun themes like sexual obsession,
> loneliness, despair, and those qualities associated with noir fiction.

Not to mention that, even if you took a lily-white script but hired Cagney, Robinson and Mitchum, the thing would probably turn noir. All it takes is for Cagney to look in both directions, spit, chuckle, and start walking fast down the sidewalk... cut to Robinson jabbering on the phone, nervously, chuckling, saying allright kiddo, gotcha, and so on. Noir was made by actors, too.

Almost off topic: Saw and greatly enjoyed Rudolph Matt駳 masterpiece D.O.A. Unforgivably, I had never seen the movie. My 14-year old son, who loves the noir genre more than any other, got it in a box of noir films in Paris. Superb stuff (Tiomkin did the soundtrack, Matt頤idn't do the photography himself, but it is superb).

Best,

MrT