Re: RARA-AVIS: Looking for "heist" books

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Feb 2006

No, please, any and all suggestions are fine. I haven't read a lot of White, for instance, his stuff is ridiculously hard to find nowadays.

I used "master criminal" only in the sense of one guy sort of masterminding the plan. Certainly Dortmunder fits into what I'm thinking about.

The sort of thing I'm talking about:

Donald Westlake, of course, in both Parker and Dortmunder mode.

Tom Kakonis's CRISS-CROSS

Max Allen Collins's books about Nolan, I particularly liked SPREE

Right now I'm reading Lawrence Sanders's THE ANDERSON TAPES, I'm not sure if I like it yet but it certainly is a Seventies variant.

Ed McBain's "Deaf Man" entries in the 87th Precinct series, I'm especially fond of LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE DEAF MAN

I should say I'm interested in books with one crime, or one crime and the immediate aftermath; not books that are more "this is how criminals live now" things like THIEVES LIKE US, say (as fine as that book is).

(There's a whole non-hardboiled variant, interestingly, mainly European-styled stories of rogues like The Saint or The Baron or Raffles.)

doug

Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com