Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled genealogy

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 10 Feb 2006

Rob wrote:

"I don't care for "My Dark Places," personally, but I seem to be alone."

No, you're not alone. I'm with you on that. It seemed to me the book was exploitational, and not in a good way. It struck me as the culmination of his using his mother's murder as promotional tool and evidence of authenticy. Frankly, I found more depth in his earlier magazine articles and interviews on the subject. At book length, it became apparent to me that he was hiding behind his newfound pseudo-jazz diction to keep from really exposing himself and his emotions. The tabloid specifics -- look at me, my mom was brutally killed; look at me, I broke into houses to sniff women's panties -- seemed intimate, but the psychological depths beneath these surface details were largely skimmed over. It's entirely understandable if he didn't want to confront a lot of this stuff, or if he only wanted to do so in private, but that was exactly what he promised and promoted in the book, so it came off as a big bait and switch for me.

But how do you criticize someone whose mom died? It goes against playground rules.

Mark