Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled genealogy

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Feb 2006

I think Willeford's protagonists are definitely sociopathic, if not exactly "psychotic". I also think that Willeford saw sociopathology as a kind of normative state, at least for sucessful living. This moral ambivalence gives his work much of it's richness, I think.

As for the tree, I finally took a look and I think it's okay as far as it goes. Personally I think if you're trying to understand hardboiled *writing* it'd be more interesting to drop off the film noir stuff completely and focus instead on works that, while not hardboiled themselves, have influenced a lot of what followed: the grim bureacratic spies of Le Carre, Robert Stone's hippie-bummer books, etc. I think you could get a better understanding of where we're at now.

Her syllabus has an interesting connection between Ellroy and LAURA. I've not read the book, but the movie is a favorite of mine, and it's a good insight to link the two together.

doug

Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com