Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled genealogy

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 08 Feb 2006

Robert Elkin wrote:

> Thanks for the hostility, Brian. Much appreciated.

There was no hostility in my posting. My comments were directed at what I disliked about Ellroy's work. This is nothing new here. A search of the RA Archives will bear this out. Someone else here mentioned that they felt that Ellroy got it exactly right with WHITE JAZZ, but had descended into parody with his next book. My comments, while more explicit about what I disliked, style-wise, were not so different from that (I just felt that he descended into self-parody faster). Besides, like I said, I thought THE BLACK DAHLIA was brilliant.

Isn't disagreement a logical and foreseeable by-product of discourse, and vice-versa? The last thing I'd expect anyone on this list to do is to agree with all of my opinions on the books we're talking about. Is it wrong to expect the full gamut of opinions to be expressed here when a controversial author comes up for discussion? After all, who wants to be involved in a book discussion list that is just one big love-fest for whichever author is getting discussed? If I were looking for that, I'd be motoring on over to one of those Oprah Book Club lists that must be all over the net by now.

No harm intended, and nothing personal.

All the Best-

Brian Thornton