Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled genealogy

From: William Denton ( wtd@pobox.com)
Date: 07 Feb 2006

On 7 February 2006, Brian Thornton wrote:

> On the other hand, THE BLACK DAHLIA has a discernible plot, realistic
> dialogue, engaging characters. "Over the top" is one way to describe WHITE
> JAZZ, I suppose. Especially if you finish the description by adding a few
> choices words: "So over the top that it strays into the realm of
> unintentional self-parody."

Did you read the LA Quartet in order, or did you jump to WHITE JAZZ out of sequence? Going in order and watching the language change from book to book was a great experience, and I loved them all. Skipping to the last without preparation might confuse a reader.

Bill

--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org