RARA-AVIS: List of Reference Works

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Feb 2006

Miker,

Re your proposed list below:

Pulp Jungle, Gruber Difficult Lives, Sallis Noir Fiction, Duncan Murder Off the Rack, Breen and Greenberg Pulp Culture, Haut Tough Guy Writers of the Thirties, edited by Madden Novel of Violence in America, Frohock The Modern American Novel of Violence, Shaw Over My Dead Body, Server Writing and Other Blood Sports, Willeford Into the Badlands, Williams Neon Noir, Haut The World of Chandler, edited by Gross Raymond Chandler, Marling Gun in Cheek, Pronzini Dime Detectives, Goulart American Realism and Naturalism, edited by Pizer American Literary Naturalism, Walcutt Naturalistic Inner-City Novel in America, Giles Collected Memoirs, Willeford The Perfect Murder, Lehman Dashiell Hammett, Dooley The American Roman Noir, Marling American Detective, Siegel Saint With a Gun, Ruehlmann Chester Himes, Milliken Private Eyes, Baker and Nietzel Easterns, Westerns, and Private Eyes, Klein Hard-Boiled, Smith Fine Art of Murder, edited by Gorman Nathanael West, edited by Martin Big Book of Noir, edited by Gorman Encyclopedia of Murder and Mystery, Murphy Encyclopedia Mysteriosa, DeAndrea Detective Agency, Walton and Jones

I'm crushed, crushed, that RAMOND CHANDLER - MASTER OF AMERICAN NOIR isn't included on your list.

Seriously, if anyone is interested in checking out my Chandler e-book, Barnes & Noble will be offering the Chandler course (with me as instructor) once again this April.

I'll post a link as soon as one's available.

If you are planning on taking the course (it's free), the reading list is:

LESSON ONE:
"Blackmailers Don't Shoot"
"Smart-ALeck Kill"
"Spanish Blood"

LESSON TWO:
"Finger Man"
"Goldfish"
"Red Wind"
"Trouble Is My Business"

LESSONS THREE & FOUR: THE BIG SLEEP

LESSONS FIVE AND SIX: FAREWELL, MY LOVELY

LESSON SEVEN: THE HIGH WINDOW

LESSON EIGHT: Review

Be nice to see a few of you Rar Birs there. Miker took the course and spoke kindly of it.

JIM DOHERTY