RARA-AVIS: Re: Maltese Falcons on DVD

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 03 Feb 2006

On Feb 3, 2006, at 8:39 AM, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>> Can
>> it
>> be possible that even at this late date, we underestimate the
>> ability of
>> John Huston as a director? Watch those three films together, and
>> see how
>> he
>> frames a shot, the angles and lighting he chooses. I don't think
>> budget
>> has
>> much to do with it. He was just a genuine student of the craft.

Well, he sure studied the first version of THE MALTESE FALCON. Some of the shots, angles and lighting, not to mention the way the actors delivered the lines, were identical.

There's no doubt Huston was a great director, and the cast of the 1941 version were better actors (although frigid Brigid was miscast), but gee, the original film, misguided as it was at times, still had its moments, some of them very good. They must have been for Huston to swipe them for his own version.

But all three versions in one set? Cool...

Kevin