Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Locations/Las Vegas

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 29 Jan 2006

Don Winslow's WHILE DROWNING IN THE DESERT, the last (I think) in his Neal Carey series, takes place in Nevada, most prominently in Las Vegas. Neal is sent, by a group that takes care of rich people's problems, to return an over-the-hill and perhaps senile comedian who taught Lou Costello everything he knows (or so he says) from the Mirage to Palm Springs. Turns out the old guy had lots of good reasons for leaving home.
    This is the lightest book in the series, verging on fluffy at times, what with all the former burlesque star's stage jokes and stories about the good old days. But I could make a case for its being hardboiled if I had to, there's a jolt of noir at the end, and it's stuffed with Las Vegas, past and present. Joy