RARA-AVIS: the meaning of noir

From: Vince Keenan ( vpkeenan@hotmail.com)
Date: 28 Jan 2006

Considering that Machiavelli's name was batted about here recently, I thought I'd mention an essay called "Nietzche and the Meaning of Noir," by Mark T. Conard. It's excerpted from Conard's 2005 book "The Philosophy of Film Noir." (Rare Birds may also know Conard as the author of the novel
"Dark as Night," from Uglytown.)

The essay focuses more on film but James M. Cain and David Goodis are heard from, as well as that dark prince Nietzche himself. You can find it here:

http://metaphilm.com/philm.php?id=461_0_2_0

Vince Keenan

www.vincekeenan.com Pop culture, high and low, past and present. One day at a time.