RARA-AVIS: Straight from Thrilling Detective Web Site World Headquarters....

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 28 Jan 2006

Attention ladies and gentlemen and all ships at sea:

This just in....

The new issue of THE THRILLING DETECTIVE WEB SITE finally, belatedly and with much apology to all concerned, made it on line a few weeks ago.

The Divine Ms. Sarah Weinman of "that blog" makes her Thrilling debut with "Out of Clay," which introduces a new gumshoe with a hell of a partner, while Mike MacLean lets us get in touch with our more hard-boiled side when his ethics-free P.I. makes us all feel wonderfully, gloriously dirty all over again in "Little Sins.", As well, we present our annual Christmas Gift Guide (now about as useless as tits on a bull, as my dad would say) but still, hopefully entertaining, and last but not least, we gird our loins, cry havoc and let loose the ANNUAL CHEAP THRILL AWARDS, where we salute the best (and kneecap the worst) of P.I. fiction in 2005.

There will be daily updates for a while, as well, so keep an eye peeled.

And for those of you who just can't get enough of me. there's some really good news. After all these years, I've finally made the cut. I'm gonna be in the hot seat for a DetecToday chat.

So, if you have nothing better to do tomorrow afternoon (Sunday, January 29, around 2PM Pacific/5 PM Eastern), why not join me at DetecToday for a chat about the new issue of the Thrilling Detective Web Site, all I wanted for Christmas, hard-boiled detective and noir fiction, short mystery crime fiction, TV, movies, this new-fangled blogging thing, what's new in private eyes, scum-sucking publishers, writing groups, the dangerous cult of BSP, why editing and legit criticism matter, and of course plenty about Hammett, Chandler, Macdonald and all those other guys.

DetecToday may never be the same.

Just log into Yahoo! Messenger and contact DetecToday moderator Gerald So's screenname "g_so" and he'll invite you to conference. He's usually usually logged in, so if you see him, just let 'em know you're there for the festivities.

Tar and feathers are optional, but feel free to bring along some cyber beer and munchies.

And your Rara-Avis Decoder Ring. Rare Birds get in free.

And as usual, I'll be my typical sunshiney charming self...

Kevin Burton Smith Editor/Founder/Janitor The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com