RE: RARA-AVIS: Quick reviews: two recent Hard Cases

From: Burridge, Stephen ( stephen.burridge@hp.com)
Date: 26 Jan 2006

Doug Bassett wrote:

>THE GIRL WITH THE LONG GREEN HEART -- Lawrence Block

>... As for the book itself, I'm not a huge Block fan but
>was surprised to find a mild satisfaction in this. If
>you like Block adjust your sights accordingly...

>... Sort of a better stab at the kind of thing GRIFTER'S
> GAME (IMO, not a very good book) was trying for.

I haven't been a Block fan, based on about 5 of his books, most of them relatively recent, but I thought "Grifter's Game" was a terrific book, beautifully written. I'll have to try "Girl With The Long Green Heart" soon.

>THE GUTTER AND THE GRAVE -- Ed McBain

>I was surprised that I really liked this, too.... GUTTER reads
incredibly
>fast and while I can't say the whodunit aspect is an
>incredible surprise, McBain handles it extremely well.

I also enjoyed it (though not as much as "Grifter's Game") and thought it very well executed.

Regards,

Stephen Burridge