RARA-AVIS: I Prayed At The Altar of Knopf ....

From: David L. Wilson ( dwilson@sccn.net)
Date: 23 Jan 2006

For years I prayed at the altar of Knopf, beginning with Cain and Burnett. If you were a Knopf author, brother, you were in. I was a hardback snob. Call it the ignorance of youth. Black Lizard helped with my reformation. I had never read Jim Thompson before the Lizard's first odd-sized, squared-off volumes came out, garish and in your face.
  I was drawn to them immediately, picked up A Swell Looking Babe and after I read it I sent my girlfriend to buy the remaining three from the nearest B. Dalton's. She found them, marched them to the cash register where the clerk looked the books over, sniffed and said, "I didn't know we carried books like these!". It was not an endorsement. It was truly my belated entrance into the world of paperback originals.
  Thank you, Black Lizard.

David L. Wilson Downieville, CA