RARA-AVIS: Re: Probation/Parole Officer Novels

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Jan 2006

Darrell,

Re your question below:

"As both a former Probation Officer and Parole Officer, I was wondering: Are there any good mystery/crime novels featuring a PO as main character?"

The two main characters in George Pelecanos's DRAMA CITY are a female DC parole officer and her client.

Dennis E. Bolan is a federal parole officer in Canada.
 His novel STUPID CRIMES fictionalizes his experiences.

Nancy Taylor Rosenberg has written at least three novels featuring Southern California probation officers, FIRST OFFENSE, SULLIVAN'S LAW, and SULLIVAN'S JUSTICE.

ANGELS OF ANGUISH by Sherri L. Board is about a female juvenile probation officer looking into the murder of her own son.

I could be wrong about this, but it seems to me that one of William Campbell Gault's stand-alone novels
(DON'T CRY FOR ME perhaps) also features a juvenile probation officer as its protagonist.

Hope that helps.

JIM DOHERTY