RARA-AVIS: RE: Chandler dissing Hammett?

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 18 Jan 2006

   Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 06:37:37 -0000
   From: "DAmoynihan" < dmoynihan@blackmask.com> Subject: Re: The Chill by Ross Macdonald

/Chandler offs an obvious Hammett in The Long Goodbye, after first enmasculating him.
//Aside: Elliot Gould as Marlowe?

The case can probably be made that Chandler was referencing Hammett and Hellman in his short story, A Couple of Writers. But I don't think Hammett was the model for Roger Wade in The Long Goodbye. A better candidate would have been James Jones which, as I recall, was what Robert Altman had in mind when he originally cast Dan Blocker in the movie. It has also been suggested that the character was autobiographical.

As for Elliot Gould, why not? Clearly a better choice than George Montgomery, James Caan or Danny Glover.