RARA-AVIS: Re: The Chill by Ross Macdonald

From: DAmoynihan ( dmoynihan@blackmask.com)
Date: 18 Jan 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Victoria Two <msvictoriatwo@y...> wrote:

> Just finished The Chill by Ross Macdonald, published in 1964. I
read it pretty much straight thru -- it's short -- and then had a thought which I would like to ask those who know. I am sure that graduate students have given their lives for this, but I just need a short and simple answer since I know the general outline of the author's life but have not read a detailed biography.

> SPOILER and you really do not want to continue if you have not
read this noir classic.

> As soon as I got to the end of the book I had a strong feeling
that the younger-man/older-woman scenario was a comment on Raymond Chandler's marriage. If it is, that is probably common knowledge that I am too out of fashion to have picked up. I think I remember reading
(too long ago to pin down) that Mrs. Chandler was sometimes mistaken for Raymond's mother. On the other hand, none of my fast searches turned up a relationship between The Chill. So, any thoughts?

Cissy Chandler was 18 years his senior, and they married when he was late 30s, IIRC. Haven't read The Chill, but if it's a obvious commentary, you could do a good paper on hard-boiled authors taking shots at each other.

/Chandler offs an obvious Hammett in The Long Goodbye, after first enmasculating him.
//Aside: Elliot Gould as Marlowe?