Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Vachss: Robison

From: Steve Novak ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 13 Jan 2006

This "knowledge" discussion is bordering on the sophomoric:
* one can write about anything, anywhere, anyway...it has nothing to do with "knowledge", writing is writing...
* what is this notion of "knowledge": where does knowledge starts, where does it end...research, experience, to be "informed"...are only part of whatever "knowledge" is????
* there are several layers/levels of "reading": so independently of whatever one put into one's writing, it can be "read" in other ways, on other fronts, at other levels...so the discussion of "the knowledge" of the writer is, no matter what, totally moot...

...and these are only some of the questions raised by this, I'm sure...

I can't remember if this discussion span out of Vachss's, but I can tell you that he displays vast amounts of "knowledge" about old vintage US cars at the start of Two Trains Running...I don't know if any is accurate, I assume...but it doesn't matter anyway...it's the way it is written which is interesting...and unfortunately in this case, it comes as another worn-out cliche in what turns out to be a very uninteresting book ...and I'm dropping it right there...

Montois disappointed by TTR