RARA-AVIS: Re: Vachss: Robison, 2

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Jan 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@y...> wrote:

> Todd wrote:
>
> Leftist, MikeR?
>
> He's definitely victim-oriented, to a fault, but
> hardly strikes me as much of lefty.
>
> ***************
> Haha! Yup! I see Vachss's writing as solidly left.
> It permeates it. From his rejection of core family in
> favor of the "it takes a village to raise a child"
> extended family, to his worship of alternate
> lifestyles. Take a look at the bad guys. They come
> in two flavors. Upper class white male pedophiles,
> and poor white male racists. The key phrase here is
> "white male," a long-beloved scapegoat for the left.
>
> Burke is indeed a leftist version of Mike Hammer.

Well, none of this is so much leftist as Pomo, or common of the most marginalized of society...the Miserabilist Mike Hammer. The Angry Boho Hammer. But not much of an Anarchist (way too into hierarchy for that) nor Leninist (who are Real Big on family and puritanism, in most instances), nor certainly not too Social-Democratic (just way too messy).

It's all a bit like saying Ted Nugent's a lefty cause he has hippy hair.

But, yeah, the Burke novels do have lots of evil white guys. Including Burke, the hero.

TM