Re: Vachss Re: RARA-AVIS: Drivers

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 10 Jan 2006

Pat wrote:

"For me, it's simply that, in the Burke books at least, he consistently failed to make me care about his characters. I read the first few, and just didn't need to know what happened to them after that."

It only took me one to swear off the Burke books. Along with the above, I thought it was pumped up and overwritten, needed a good editor -- how many times does he need to tell us how well trained the dog is, how it will only eat on his command? How may times does he have to tell us what a loner he is, especially when he's not, with the surrogate family of cardboard stereotypes he has built? IT was a comic book, but not in a good way.

Ironically, I like many ofthecomic books he was invlvd with, like Cross. Vachss's non-Burke writing is another thing. I liked the majority of the short stories in his first anthology and Shella was just great. I will definitely read his getaway driver book, and the second anthology.

Mark