Re: RARA-AVIS: Drivers

From: Steve Novak ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 09 Jan 2006

I guess I have to express my surprise and sorrow at the fact that *generally* speaking (...and that is always dangerous...) Vachss's criticism both in the US press and on various US discussion groups (including and especially Rara) has been quite negative (or at best lukewarm) after the initial enthousiasm (quite a few years ago). I wonder why his strong and original voice has been in such bad light...maybe some of his implied political views have ruffled some well groomed feathers (on either wing), maybe his activism in certain causes has gone against the politically correct stances of the US crime novel establishment, maybe simply the fact that, aside from The Getaway Man, his most recent output has not retained the sharp bluntness and "newness" factor of the initial novels..??? Any idea or further comment would be very welcome...

Montois in Detroit