RARA-AVIS: Thieves Market (noir novel); Thieves

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Jan 2006

Jay Gertzman said:

>>The film's drive-by-night scenes are wonderful.

But damn it, how can it be noir, with justice being done, crime not paying, and Nick marrying the sexy sultry as his buddies cheer?<<

Sounds like its not noir, but I've never seen or read either.

>>It's about as noir as Bogart and
Bacall's _Big Sleep_ or _Dark Passage_.<<

I've never thought of Chandler or Hammett's
"Maltese Falcon as noir.

>>Shouldn't there be another
term for such films to distinguish them from ones

such as _Chinatown_,
_The Asphalt Jungle_, _The Killing_, _Detour_, or _Odds Against Tomorrow_?<<

Their probably should be another name. Jim Doherty's "Dark and Sinister" may fit the others. But, for me, "noir" is very special and few written pieces qualify.

Now noir??? How about Hemingway's book "To Have and Have Not?" The movie is definitely not noir. I think the book definitely is noir.

It might be nice to discuss the diffeences between the book and the movie and why one is and one is not.

Jack

http://www.jackbludis.com Shamus nominee for "Shadow of the Dahlia" Amazon.com / BN.com / MysteryLovesCompany.com

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL - Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com