Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled Journalists

From: Monte Herridge ( mherridge@ev1.net)
Date: 07 Jan 2006

Though this is not exactly a hardboiled series, Frederick C. Davis wrote the Bill Brent series for Dime Detective (1941-46). Bill Brent is an experienced crime reporter sentenced by his newspaper editor(for misbehaving) to be the writer behind the pseudonymous Lora Lorne the advice columnist. Each story is a murder mystery, and the full 15 story series has been reprinted in one volume by the small press publisher The Battered Silicon Dispatch Box in 2004. An excellent series.

Monte Herridge

----- Original Message ----- From: Richard Moore

I have always been partial to journalists as protagonists because they (unlike most amateurs) have a logical reason for investigating situations and asking questions. They also have access to sources of information other non-detectives would not have. Also, I spent years as a reporter both print and broadcast and know the background well. This inside knowledge also means some novels depicting reporters make my skin crawl with inaccuracies.

<snip>

I'm sure I will think of others later or be reminded of additional great ones as others post in response.

Richard Moore