RARA-AVIS: Re: Harold Q. Masur, RIP

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 04 Jan 2006

Masur served a term as MWA president and (IIRC) was MWA's general counsel into the 1980s. Back when I attended the MWA annual dinners, I remember him as a dapper dresser and a witty speaker. I remember one story he told at either an MWA affair or perhaps it was at the New York Bouchercon in the early 1980s. He said in one of his first novels his primary character Scott Jordan smoked Camel cigarettes. One day he received a thank you letter from R.J. Reynolds along with two free cartons of Camels. In his next book, he had Jordan drive a Cadillac. He sent a copy to General Motors but no free car resulted.

I liked the Scott Jordan novels and Masur was also effective at shorter lengths. He had several stories in Manhunt, the leading hardboiled digest of the 1950s. Pyramid published a collection THE NAME IS JORDAN in 1962.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "foxbrick" <foxbrick@y...> wrote:

> --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Ed Lynskey <e_lynskey@y...>
wrote:

> > Jiro Kimura emailed me re: the death of Harold Q. Masur.
> > Apologies if this was already posted. Mr. Masur obit appears in
> > a database Jiro uses:
> >
> > South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - September 17,
> > 2005
> Deceased
> > Name: Masur, Harold Q.
> >
> > Masur Masur, Harold Q., 96, of Boca Raton, FL died on September
> > 16, 2005. Neptune Society Cremation Chapel.
>
> I liked his fiction I read, and I loved the ALFRED HITCHCOCK
PRESENTS: