RARA-AVIS: On Henry Kane

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 29 Dec 2005

Bill Crider:

"Henry Kane is more interesting to me than Frank for a couple of reasons. One is that Henry started out writing about Peter Chambers for hardcover, with reprints by Dell. After that he wrote novels (many featuring Chambers) for just about every paperback house there was. He wrote (I think) originals for Pocket Books, Avon, Pyramid, Signet, Lancer and Dell again. Probably others. His work was uneven, but some of it was very good."

In (I think) TWENTIETH CENTURY CRIME & MYSTERY WRITERS, someone says that this shows Henry Kane was an opportunist. In the early seventies, Kane switched to international thrillers, but came back with Chambers in pornoish paperbacks (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going by my memory which after several glasses of Cava and some shots of Baltic Vana Tallinn liqueur is now what it used to be).

As for me, I find Henry Kane too jokey and downright boring. (I don't much care for Frank Kane either.)*

Juri

* Peter Chambers was a pseudonym used by the British Dennis Phillips in his P.I. novels featuring Mark Preston. They are mediocre at best, but the use of pseudonym is interesting.

http://pulpetti.blogspot.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season! http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM