RARA-AVIS: Re: Johnny Liddell

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 29 Dec 2005

I am away from home and my copy of Art Scott's book on the artist Robert McGinnis but I believe he did some of the Frank Kane covers. I've been tempted to give Kane another try, although less so following these comments. I read several of them when I was a teenager devouring the Mike Shayne novels and picked up the look- alike Johnny Liddell novels. I thought Liddell very inferior to Shayne and was annoyed by the fact that Kane would recycle dialog and scenes from book to book. The one that sticks in my mind is where Liddell is offered a cigarette by a hop-head bad guy. Liddell would look at the offered smoke and say "No thanks, I like tobacco in mine."

I always ranked Henry Kane above Frank, although Henry's Peter Chambers stories could also be repetitive.

My mild renewed interest in Frank Kane came about because recently I picked up several episodes of the Mike Hammer television from 1958-60 and Kane was one of the primary writers of that series. I've only had time to watch one (not written by Kane) and it wasn't bad. One outrageous detail is that Darren McGavin's Hammer carries a revolver instead of Hammer's famous .45 automatic.

Richard Moore