RARA-AVIS: Re: Johnny Liddell

From: Steve Lewis ( stevelewis62@cox.net)
Date: 29 Dec 2005

At 08:56 AM 12/29/2005, you wrote:
>Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:13:13 -0600
> From: "James Reasoner" < james53@flash.net>
>Subject: Re: Frank Kane
>
>Doug Bassett asked about the cover art on the following Frank Kane books.
>Here's the information I have:
>
>DUE OR DIE -- Harry Bennett
>A SHORT BIER -- Harry Bennett
>TIME TO PREY -- cover credit given as Livoti; probably Victor Livoti
>JOHNNY COME LATELY -- Ronnie Lesser
>BARE TRAP -- Harry Bennett
>JOHNNY LIDDEL'S MORGUE -- no artist credit on the copy I have
>
>I read probably half of the Johnny Liddell series during the Sixties and
>Seventies and recall liking the books quite a bit. However, when I last
>read one a few years ago I didn't think it was very good. Maybe one of
>those right time, right place things. I ought to try another one just to
>see.
>
>James Reasoner

Many if not all of the early Dell covers can be seen at http://www.dell.bookscans.com/dell.htm. Harry Bennett has long been a favorite of mine. He is probably better known for his covers of gothic or romantic suspense paperbacks, but he did a lot of mysteries too.

As for Johnny Liddell, I think both James and Doug Bassett are right on the money. Very derivative and second rank, but in his day, quite popular.

                                                 Steve

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season! http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM