RARA-AVIS: Recent acquisitions

From: juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi
Date: 27 Dec 2005

Someone (Doug B? sorry, the name went past me) asked about new books. I got my hands finally on some Hard Case Crime and Point Blank Press books (I have no credit card and had to ask a friend of mine to order these). I'll be reading them and posting impressions here, I think pretty soon. I don't think anyone's mentioned Peter Pavia's DUTCH UNCLE. Is it any good?*

I also found quite nice books in fleamarkets and similar venues, for example, fellow Rara-avian Fred Zackel's COCAINE AND BLUE EYES.

At the moment I'm reading James Michael Ullman's THE NEON HAYSTACK (1963). Anyone read it? It was a hardback originally and I believe it won a contest of some sort (perhaps Edgar for the best first novel?). Ullman wrote only one other novel, AFAIK, and went into obscurity after that. Anyone know anything about him? The book is interesting, albeit not very original: it tells about a man who cleans the corrupt town while searching his lost kid brother. It would be interesting to have an article about him on Mystery*File or somewhere else.

Juri

* Reviews of sort have appeared on my blog, Pulpetti (http://pulpetti.blogspot. com)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season! http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM