Re: RARA-AVIS: Wheelman

From: Duane Swierczynski ( Duane.Swier@verizon.net)
Date: 20 Dec 2005

Mark wrote:

> So Duane, I take it you're a fan of Blade Runner?

Only recently; I used to hate the movie.

> Upon further reflection, I caught the homage to The Hunter (AKA Point
> Blank, AKA Payback):

Nice catch. I originally had the pipe burial scene on the Philly side, but I thought it would be fun to do a little homage to the first Parker novel. (Thankfully, there was a bridge handy.) Later, there's a more overt shout-out to Mr. Stark.

There's also a mini-homage to Dan J. Marlowe's THE NAME OF THE GAME IS DEATH in there, too...

> It makes me wonder what other passing references and jokes I missed.
> (Barone family, as in Everybody Loves Raymond? Dylan McManus, last
> name
> that of one of the many new Dylans, Elvis Costello? And Patrick Selway
> Lennon's middle name keeps nagging at me.)

Actually, "Barone," "McManus," "Kotkiewicz," etc. -- they're all names of former students. (I was teaching journalism at La Salle University when I was writing WHEELMAN.) "Selway" is not a reference to anything as far as I can remember; I just liked how it sounded.

Cheers--

Duane

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season! http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM